The Centre for Psychological Services and Career Development (PsyCaD) provides counselling, psychometric assessments, and career development services to students at the University of Johannesburg (UJ). There is no cost involved for students registered at UJ for our services and confidentiality is of utmost importance to us.
Psychological Services essentially focuses on different forms of counselling. The aim of these services is to provide students with the tools to improve their personal and academic functioning.
- Individual counselling
- Psychoeducational counselling
- Support groups
- Advisory walk-in services
- Services related to your career
- Work readiness programmes
- Career consultation and counselling
Students can visit any of the PsyCaD offices on any of the 4 campuses without making a prior appointment. A brief screening will be run by a Mental Health Professional to ascertain what service you require, and you will be referred accordingly. PsyCaD can be found at the locations below:
|Campus Name||Location||Contact Detail|
|Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus||Impala Court||+27115591318|
|Auckland Park Kingsway Campus||C-Ring 1||+27115593106|
|Doornfontein Campus||House 2, Louisa Street||+27115596042|
|Soweto Campus||Adelaide Tambo Building- Academic Block||+27115595752|
The PsyCaD crisis line is a 24-hour service offered to all students who need immediate support and guidance on 082-054-1137. The crisis line counsellor can offer immediate emotional assistance, as well as practical referral information. In addition, students may also contact the Higher Health Help Line on 0800 36 36 36 or SMS them on 43336.
PsyCaD also has a Mobile App which can downloaded from the Google Play Store:
The Disability Unit (DU) provides support for UJ students with disabilities.
- Confidential consultation sessions
- Concessions application for tests/exams (e.g. extra time, use of assistive devices, venues, etc.)
- Test and exam arrangements
- Training, assistance and a advice regarding assistive hardware and software
- Assistive devices and technology at PsyCaD offices and in the UJ libraries
- Working with lecturers, residence, campus health, etc. to best support these students
- Support with disability bursary applications
- Access to study material in alternative formats (braille, audio, electronic text)
- Support with accessible transport between campuses, residences, and lectures for physically and visually disabled students
Graduate Recruitment and Employer Relations
- Meaningful company engagements
- Industry Talks
- Company Visits
- Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placements
- Career Fairs
Access the useful Career Services Recruitment brochure here.
Please contact us on +27115593333 to book an appointment. Students can also contact PsyCaD on [email protected] to book appointments and send through queries.
Click the button below to download a useful informational guide for PsyCaD.
For more information about Psychological Services and Career Development, please follow the link.