The library aims to provide in the information needs of all students and develop students’ information literacy skills so that they are able to identify when relevant information is needed, evaluate information, locate and apply information effectively.
The library offers students multiple services:
- Open shelf collections: for loan
- Reserve collections: prescribed and recommended books
- Reference collections: dictionaries and encyclopaedias
- Full-text electronic journal databases
- Library guides: these help group relevant resources for each faculty
- To prepare students for life-long learning the library offers real-time online training in all aspects of information literacy. The training session schedule is published monthly on the library website.
- Students can follow the online tutorials at their own pace and complete the assessments during their own time
- The library has created useful instructional videos to help you in using the library resources
- Information retrieval, reference service and research support by professional staff
- Inter-campus loans, which allow you to take out books from any of the five UJ libraries
- Library tutors
- Lending services
- Special help and assistance to students with disabilities
- Quiet study space
- 24-hour study space
- Discussion areas
- Learning Commons: space for undergraduates to meet and work
- Photocopying, scanning and printing
- Library facilities for students with disabilities
- Self check-out machine
- Library App, downloadable from Google Play. It provides easy access to all the core library resources. The App is compatible with all devices. Follow this link to find out more information about the app and how to download it.
- Botsa, the library chatbot, will answer all your library-related questions. You can access Botsa from the library’s website.
- The library’s “Makerspace” facility is at DFC library. Here you can unleash your creativity by making use of the latest 4IR technology.
Library hours: Term
Please consult the library website on changes in the library hours
Exam times: Saturdays
During mid-year and final year exams, library hours are extended from 08:00 until 18:00 in all libraries on Saturdays.
For more information about the Library, please follow this link.