The library aims to provide in the information needs of all students and develop students’ information literacy skills so that they are able to identify when relevant information is needed, evaluate information, locate and apply information effectively.
The library offers students multiple services:
- Open shelf collections: for loan
- Reserve collections: prescribed and recommended books
- Reference collections: dictionaries and encyclopaedias
- Full-text electronic journal databases
- Library guides: these help group relevant resources for each faculty
- The library offers face-to-face information literacy training in each of the library’s training rooms
- With our blended information literacy programme, we combine online digital media with traditional classroom methods
- Students can follow the online tutorials at their own pace and complete the assessments during their own time
- Students attending the contact session training can revert to the online tutorials upon demand
- Information retrieval, reference service and research support by professional staff
- Inter-campus loans, which allow you to take out books from any of the five UJ libraries
- Library tutors
- Lending services
- Special help and assistance to students with disabilities
- Quiet study space
- 24-hour study space
- Discussion areas
- Learning Commons: space for undergraduates to meet and work
- Photocopying, scanning and printing
- Library facilities for students with disabilities
- Self check-out machine
- Library App, downloadable from Google Play. It provides easy access to all the core library resources. The App is compatible with all devices. Follow this link to find out more information about the app and how to download it.
- Botsa, the library chatbot, will answer all your library-related questions. You can access Botsa from the library’s website.
- The library’s “Makerspace” facility is at DFC library. Here you can unleash your creativity by making use of the latest 4IR technology.
Library hours: Term
|All campuses||Monday – Friday||07:30 – 22:00|
|All campuses||Saturday||08:00 – 15:00|
Exam times: Saturdays
During mid-year and final year exams, library hours are extended from 08:00 until 18:00 in all libraries on Saturdays.
Additionally, email at [email protected]